Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thursday, The Sleeping @ Toad's Place








On December 12th, the Sleeping joined forces with Victory mates and NJ post-hardcore band, Thursday. The Dear Hunter and Moving Mountains supported the random get together show before the holidays.

To be honest, I wasn't able to stay for Thursday. Which is...believe me, a huge bummer. However, I did manage to hear some new songs from The Sleeping. Their new album is set to release on the 17th (same day as Thursday, which everyone should absolutely go buy). I'm still a little scared about The Sleeping's new songs, but I'm more excited than anything. I think their record is going to be one of those albums you need to listen to a few times before you somehow turn absolutely obsessed over the album (think...Incubus?).

I've heard of the Dear Hunter before and I was stoked to hear their music. However, I was a bit disappointed in how generic they sounded. That's not to say they weren't talented because they were absolutely beyond talented, but they didn't make me want to go out and buy their album the next day.

Moving Mountains did just that. Moving Mountains hails from Purchase, NY and just released their full length, Foreward, last week. WOW these guys are good. They're indie (not exactly my favorite genre), but you can just tell they're amazing musicians with whatever type of music genre they touch.

I walked into Toad's just as the lights were dimming for Moving Mountains. Man, I wanted a beer so bad as soon as I got there, but I kept telling myself, "ok when this 'no name band' plays a bad song...move to the bar." Yeah, I never got to the bar during Moving Mountain's set. They were just as undoubtedly fantastic from the first note until the last. Memorizing.

In fact, I overheard someone next to me exclaim about how awesome this band was (probably just as clueless about their existance as I was). When Moving Mountains finished, you could hear the genuine claps from people who had no idea who these guys were until that very night.

Props to Moving Mountains for outstanding musicianship in such a world overruled by scene and regurgitated music. They're doing something different. I wish them best of luck on being the next big thing.

No comments: